OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Jun 18 13:17:17 MDT 2008

Wade Preston Shearer <lists at wadeshearer.com> writes:
> It all depends on where you life. You can get a home on 1/32 of an
> acre in Traverse Mountain for $300,000 and be able to reach our your
> side window and shack hands with your neighbor, or you can get 1/3 an
> acre in Lehi for the same price. I personally wouldn't buy a lot
> smaller than a a third of an acre. It drives me nuts how close they
> build homes. I think it makes the neighborhoods ugly.

The size of the lots doesn't bug me nearly as much as the 'big stucco
or vinyl cube' effect does.  Sub-McMansion homes have no visual
appeal.  At least McMansions tack on dormers and bump-outs and fancy
windows that pull in some classic styling cues to add visual appeal.

I can handle small lots as long as there's visual appeal to the homes
and enough variety in design and color to make things interesting.
For example, the Daybreak development has small lots, but also a lot
of classic-inspired styling, several different builders, and *color*
on the houses.  It may not be utopia, but it's a nice change from the
typical development.

I also happen to like the look of urban townhome rows, especially
Victorian-styled ones.  Not a lot of land there, but a lot of visual
appeal, and a lot of color.  The look definitely works better in the
city, though.

                --Levi