OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Wed Jun 18 13:08:54 MDT 2008

Levi Pearson wrote:
> I occasionally do the Parade of Homes thing, and although there are a
> lot of sprawling, gimmick-filled abominations in the upper end of the
> price range, I saw one house that was built based on the floorplan of
> a colonial home.  It was constructed entirely of brick, had fancy
> period ceilings and other molding work, but still had some nice modern
> touches.  It was beautiful, and I loved it.  I'm sure the cost per
> square foot was a lot higher than your typical home, though, so I
> don't imagine many people will follow suit.
>
> I live in Lehi, and a lot of the fancy old homes along Main Street
> have been converted to businesses.  There's a Thai restaurant in one
> of them, and it appears to still have the original floors, molding,
> and high ceilings.  If I had the time and money, I'd love to find a
> home like that and restore it, or build a new one following the
> classic style.
>
> But for now, I live in a 2000sq ft home on a medium-sized lot without
> any particular classic appeal, because that's what I've got the time
> and money for, and my home's appearance isn't worth enough to me that
> I'd be willing to go into much more debt to pay for what I'd get if
> money were no object.

You and I are on the same page, Levi. If I were you, I'd be scared. :)

To me it's a shame that all these old beautiful homes end up on main
drags, like the ones you describe in Lehi. The same is true of the
northern part of 1300 East in SLC, and lots of other homes in SLC that,
when constructed, weren't on busy streets, but now, they are either run
down or converted into businesses. I wish they were tucked away in quiet
neighborhoods, but most of them are not, unfortunately. I saw a gorgeous
1910's era home on a busy street the other day, and the poor thing had a
giant bill board in the front yard. Not one of these small ones either
-- it was 50 feet tall with two 4 foot diameter supports. What a bummer.
I wish we could inexpensively move these homes to other areas.

--Dave