OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Jun 18 12:57:15 MDT 2008

Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> writes:

> For the record, I don't hate these homes, or the people who live in
> them (my very parents, in fact, live in one). I just wish that more
> developers would build classic homes like the colonial and Victorian
> styles of yesteryear that you see so often in the older areas of the
> east coast.

I occasionally do the Parade of Homes thing, and although there are a
lot of sprawling, gimmick-filled abominations in the upper end of the
price range, I saw one house that was built based on the floorplan of
a colonial home.  It was constructed entirely of brick, had fancy
period ceilings and other molding work, but still had some nice modern
touches.  It was beautiful, and I loved it.  I'm sure the cost per
square foot was a lot higher than your typical home, though, so I
don't imagine many people will follow suit.

I live in Lehi, and a lot of the fancy old homes along Main Street
have been converted to businesses.  There's a Thai restaurant in one
of them, and it appears to still have the original floors, molding,
and high ceilings.  If I had the time and money, I'd love to find a
home like that and restore it, or build a new one following the
classic style.

But for now, I live in a 2000sq ft home on a medium-sized lot without
any particular classic appeal, because that's what I've got the time
and money for, and my home's appearance isn't worth enough to me that
I'd be willing to go into much more debt to pay for what I'd get if
money were no object.

                --Levi