Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Wed Jun 18 12:17:25 MDT 2008

Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Thursday 12 June 2008, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>> "throwing away my vote"
>>

> IMO, the only way to truly throw away your vote is by casting a vote for
> someone you don't want.  Voting for the "lesser of two evils" is still
> putting support behind one of them. IMO, better to not cast a ballot in
> either of their direction--let them know they are not wanted by letting them
> win with a minority vote.
>
> The fact that people have a mentality of worrying about "wasting their vote",
> IMO just goes to show that the current voting method is flawed.

This mentality says to me that you have never lived in a state where
your vote made a difference.

It is all nice and wonderful to have warm fuzzies about voting your
conscience and sending a message, unless your failure to vote the two
party system puts someone in the Whitehouse that will take away more of
our rights than the other contender.

I lived in Florida during the Bush/Gore election, and let me tell you
that I am quite proud of the fact that I was one of the 537 votes (or
192, depending on which recount) that kept Gore out of office.

-Steve