OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Wed Jun 18 11:57:04 MDT 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Doran L. Barton wrote:

> Not long ago, Thad Van Ry proclaimed...
>> I personally like big tall trees mixed between the houses. That's my
>> problem with most "McMansion" subdivisions.
>
> Mmmmm. I think I'll go to McDonalds for lunch today.
>
>> And just to set the record straight, I'm also not one who believes
>> that man has caused any type of global warming.
>
> Right on, Thad. Right on.

I took my daughter to a birthday party yesterday.  Her friend's
neighborhood is very upscale (in the Boise, ID area) and very new.
Most homes likely sell in the $500-750k range, and are 2-3 story 5000
sqft monstrosities.  Driving up the street to the home of her friend,
I was stunned to realize that what I thought was 1 really large house
turned out to be 3 separate homes placed so close together as to
appear to be one long building when you were viewing them at an angle
of more than about 30 degrees.

Personally, I dislike this - I grew up in the midwest (St. Louis area)
where tall trees are everywhere, houses were pretty far apart, and
everyone had about a half acre or more.  What's the point in laying
out  a half MILLION dollars on a house that is so close to the
neighbors you could almost hop from your back deck to theirs?

Someday I hope to own at least an acre where I can stick my McMansion.

- Kimball
http://www.kimballlarsen.com