OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Wed Jun 18 11:03:43 MDT 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 5:11 PM, Chris wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Grant Robinson <santiago at mr-r.net>
> wrote:
>> I am also sickened by this practice.
>
> For all of you "big house, small lot" haters:  Do luxury apartment
> buildings make you sick, too?  After all, they have big residences
> inside (substitute your own definition of "big") with no space
> whatsoever between dwellings.

I don't mind luxury apartment buildings when they are made part of a
master plan for an area or community.  For example, a 20 story
apartment building next to a 12 or 15 story building doesn't bother
me.  A 20 story building next a 2-story building I think is ugly and
breaks the flow of a skyline.

> And what's the point of hating on such things in the first place?
> Don't you have better things on which to focus your negativity?

Actually, I don't have a lot of negativity, focused or otherwise.  You
seem to feel stronger about people expressing their opinions than
those people actually feel about their opinions.  It is also ironic
that in writing your email, you have focused the very negativity which
you were being disdainful of. :)

>  Who
> the BLEEP cares if developers "get rich" building such homes?  If
> people are happy to buy and live in them, why does it make you feel
> better to hate on them?

Whoa, slow down there, bucko.  If you think I spend time "hating" on
the homes, the developers, or the people who buy them, then I have
some oceanside property in Iowa that I would like to sell you
(preferably for a lot of money. :).  This sort of thing is quite
literally "Out of sight, out of mind", and I think about it only when
I drive past such a development.  A topic came up in which people were
discussing homes and property, and I was simply stating what I don't
like.  There are several reasons, none of which have anything to do
with developer greed, although it is entirely possible that such a
thing influenced why they have done what they have done.  First off,
communities look better when there is some kind of master plan.  If
anyone could build anything anywhere they wanted, there would be
chaos.  I could buy a beautiful house and have a junk yard dumped next
door, or an auto shop, or a gas station, or a shopping mall, or a
movie theatre, etc.  I have no problem with any of the aforementioned
businesses, and use most of them (with the exception of the junk yard)
on a regular or semi-regular basis.  I just wouldn't want to live next
door to them.  I think you will find most people around here feel the
same way about living right next door to any one of these types of
places.  If not, they would be living in an "urban" community, not a
"sub-urban" community.  As part of this "master plan", houses should
somewhat blend with the houses next to them and in the same
neighborhood.  Not that they should be the "SAME" house as some
neighborhoods I have seen in SoCal, just that there should be a nice
flow between them.  When you have a 3 story home surrounded by a bunch
of single story homes, the 3-story home sticks out like a sore thumb,
and becomes an eyesore simply because it is out of place and doesn't
flow.  I have a number of other reasons that I could enumerate at
length, some of which are personal preference (such as believing that
kids need a place to play and therefore a yard, liking the space and
views that properly spaced homes provide), and most of which are about
aesthetics and taste.

I have also spoken not only with words, but where I choose to live.  I
moved into a neighborhood where all the homes are on at least .25
acres.  The neighborhood has a very nice flow, with spaces between
homes and each person having a nice yard which they and their kids can
enjoy.  I realize that others may have different ideals, and that is
fine.  They are welcome to live in more densely packed areas (such as
San Francisco, Chicago, LA, New York, etc, etc), but don't mix the two
ideals together and build dense housing in rural and sub-urban
communities, especially not in established communities where such
developments detract from the beauty and flow of a community.

Grant