OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Doran L. Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Tue Jun 17 17:21:21 MDT 2008

Not long ago, Chris proclaimed...
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Grant Robinson <santiago at mr-r.net> wrote:
> > I am also sickened by this practice.
>
> For all of you "big house, small lot" haters:  Do luxury apartment
> buildings make you sick, too?  After all, they have big residences
> inside (substitute your own definition of "big") with no space
> whatsoever between dwellings.
>
> And what's the point of hating on such things in the first place?
> Don't you have better things on which to focus your negativity?  Who
> the BLEEP cares if developers "get rich" building such homes?  If
> people are happy to buy and live in them, why does it make you feel
> better to hate on them?

I'm not in the "hating" category... not today anyway, but I think people
are concerned when they see higher-density development or "luxury" homes
being butted up against one another as a sign of some kind of urbanization
or sprawl.

I have a house on a 1/4-acre lot in Riverton. Our yard is a nice size. I
wouldn't mind a little more, but I'm okay with what we have. I grew up on a
farm in what is now West Valley City. We had lots of land around our house
and I took advantage of it by playing all day when I was a kid without
leaving our property.

Now, the development directly to our north which was built in 2004-2005,
has homes that are at least 1000 square feet larger than mine on smaller
lots.  Before they were built, I had a view of most of the Salt Lake
valley. Now I see only the houses. If they were spread out a little more,
maybe I'd still have a portion of the view I had before.

To the north of those houses are smaller homes that were built in
2006-2007. These are what I'd consider about a half a notch above
townhomes. They're individual family dwellings but they're smooshed
together so tightly, they have barely any yard, teeny garages, and owners
are within spitting distance of about three or four other families!

Okay, I take it back. I am feeling like a hater now. GRRRR!

BLEEP that, Chris!

--
fozz at iodynamics.com is Doran L. "Fozz" Barton
 "Please arrange for pee-pee stop en route."