OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Tue Jun 17 16:54:46 MDT 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Grant Robinson wrote:
>> You seem to have something against a 3000 square foot home.  Why is
>> that, Dave? :)
>
> Perhaps you've found meaning where none was intended. I have nothing
> against 3,000 square feet. What gets my goat is a 3,000 square foot
> home (or larger for that matter) sitting 6 feet away from another
> one, and another one, and another one after that. I really should
> send you pictures of the new development being built half a mile
> from my house in Murray. These are 3,000-4,000 square foot homes
> with no more than 6 feet of linear grass between them and the
> property line, all the way around each house. From the kitchen, you
> could spit on the golfers behind the house and just as easily hit
> cars parked on the street in the front (not to mention the side of
> your neighbor's house next to you). They look like a dozen eggs in a
> carton. It's sickening how many McMansions they've crammed into that
> tiny area on the edge of Mick Riley golf course. Oh well.

That makes things much clearer.  I am also sickened by this practice.
I grew up in an older home in Alpine, and on the way to my parents
house they have started a subdivision just like that.  Some of these
houses literally have no back yard.  That kind of thing is what I am
against.  I have no problem with homes that size, but I do have a
problem with homes that are out of proportion for the lot size (and
homes like that, in my mind, clearly are).  My only consolation is
that no one is buying those homes, so hopefully they will amend the
plan to make the homes smaller or the lots larger.

I do realize some people don't to take care of a yard, but I've always
thought that is what "desert-scaping" is for.  :)

Grant