Looking for laptop

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Tue Jun 17 11:20:04 MDT 2008

On 6/17/2008 10:54 AM, Matthew Walker wrote:
> My old laptop has started to give up the ghost, so I'm in the market for a new/used
> machine. I'm not looking for anything cutting edge. I just want a functional laptop that
> runs Linux well, and has a decent battery life. (1.5 hours minimum).
>
> Does anyone have anything they'd be interested in selling? My price range is flexible,
> but the lower the better, of course. I was planning to spend $200-$250 on it, but that's
> negotiable. Trade is also possible, if you need something coded in Perl or (checks
> asbestos underwear) PHP.

At a price range of $200-250 you are obviously not going to get
something new.  There are several laptops for sell on ebay within this
price range, but they are all used, which means the battery life will
probably be at it's end, so you will want to order a replacement battery
so you can get the 1.5 hours you are looking for.

The thing to remember about lithium ion batteries are excellent at
energy density, holding their charge (low self discharge) and recharging
(no memory effect).  The downfall of lithium batteries is their shelf
life.  They begin dieing the day they are manufactured, even if not
used, so the older the battery the higher the chance of it being at the
end of its life.

You could probably find something like this laptop [1] which closed at
about $200, plus $30 for shipping, and $60-$100 for a replacement
battery, which would bring you to a price range of about $290-$330.

[1]
http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-DELL-LAPTOP-LATITUDE-WiFi-LAPTOPS-COMPUTER-NR_W0QQitemZ160251778327QQihZ006QQcategoryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kenneth