OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Mon Jun 16 22:03:35 MDT 2008

Thus said "Jonathan Ellis" on Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:11:30 MDT:
>> I suspect most home  buyers _like_ a big house on  a small yard, since
>> it's cheaper than a big house on a big yard.

Yes, I suppose some home buyers have *consciously* opted to sacrifice
acreage in favor of a larger house. I just don't happen to know any.
Whatever the case, you can't deny or discount the fact that it's in the
developers' best money-making interest to pack as many houses on as
little land as possible. Having witnessed the real estate boom in
Northern Virignia from 2000 to 2003, and having watched developers buy
up small plots in my own Murray back yard , I have seen huge 3,000 to
4,000 square feet homes erected with barely 6 feet between them. Who can
blame them? If you can squeeze an 11th house onto a plot of land that
would comfortably only fit 10, that's 10% more profit for the same
expense. And since it was such a great sellers' market for so long in
most of the nation for 15 years, they got away with it. And seriously,
what shrewd business man wouldn't do that (provided all the houses would
sell)? Couple the developer's desire for more profit with a
taste-lacking populace of consumers who only sees square footage and
garage capacity, and, well, welcome to the United States. Things weren't
exactly better before that either, but hey, the McMansion seems to be
the building style du jour so it's an easy target.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMansion

--Dave