OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Sun Jun 15 21:36:56 MDT 2008

Thus said Dave Smith on Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:03:35 MDT:

> +1 for  Levi. Building big  houses on small lots  has much more  to do
> with developer greed than it does with land constraints.

So, are  you arguing that  developers out  here are greedier  than those
back east and which clearly build things the way their customers demand,
while those out here are taking advantage of us?

I'm more inclined to believe that there is a more rational explanation;
like maybe the actual  economic fact that water in this  area is a much
more  scarce  resource and  so  lots  are  packed  in to  maximize  the
efficiency of  water distribution. Back  east, everything is  green and
you don't even have to water to get it that way.

Could it be that  there is some other economic reason  for why the homes
are so tighly packed? Oh, maybe the  fact that the USD has has lost some
95% (more or less) of its  purchasing power since 1913. Maybe nobody can
really afford  big lots for their  McMansions. It used to  be that homes
were build  with all  brick... I  don't see many  new homes  with bricks
(except a few  large homes that clearly are high  priced). Maybe this is
simply a reflection of the changes in consumer tastes.

Or, maybe  home owners just  prefer larger homes and  less of a  yard to
maintain and are willing to pay a premium for it?

Andy
  9:36pm  up 11:32,  0 users,  load average: 1.04, 1.08, 1.07