OT - DHCP oddity

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Jun 13 22:27:35 MDT 2008

Sorry for the completely off topic post, but I have a question on
computers. You know, Linux. Routing. Completely irrelevant stuff,
really.

I have a box running Ubuntu 8.04. I recently put a new firewall into
service, so the gateway for all other machines had to change. I
changed it in the DHCP server's configuration, and manually changed
most of my machines by bringing the interface down then up again.

As an experiment, I left one machine alone. A week later, it still has
the old gateway. It works only because I changed the old firewall's
gateway to the new firewall. All of the several leases in
/var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth1.leases have the new router, but this
machine hasn't picked up the new gateway.

I'm tempted to change the routing on the old firewall so as to break
the workaround, and see if that makes any difference. The next
experiment would be to shut it down entirely.

I thought DHCP clients were supposed to pick up changes like this; am
I wrong?

dhcp3-client-3.0.6.dfsg-1ubuntu9--i386
dhcp3-common-3.0.6.dfsg-1ubuntu9--i386