Jacob Fugal lukfugl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 21:51:56 MDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> Kenneth Burgener wrote:
>> I agree, but we might not get that chance.  I heard news on the radio
>> today that Ron Paul is planning on dropping out of the race today.  Can
>> anyone else confirm this?
>>
>> I tried finding the notice on ronpaul2008.com, but only could find this:
>>
>> Ron Paul to Make Major Announcement Tonight (June 12, 2008)
>>
>> http://www.ronpaul2008.com/press-releases/340/ron-paul-to-make-major-announcement-tonight
>>
>> This leads me to believe the news on the radio was speculation only.
>
> I sure hope he's not dropping out.  I wasn't originally planning to vote for
> Ron Paul for fear of throwing away my vote, however, it turns out that I
> don't want to support *any* of the nominees from the major parties.  So if
> Paul doesn't win, I don't really care who wins--any one of them will make a
> different kind of mess.  I can vote for Paul without reservation!  ;-)

Here's an article (post-announcement):

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D918THVO0.html

So yup, looks like he's out. For those of libertarian leanings (which
I suspect move paulies are, whether they know it or not), there's the
official libertarian candidate Bob Barr: http://www.bobbarr2008.com/.
I haven't done much reading on his platform yet (the "Issues" section
of that site is woefully thin), but I've got one friend (who claims to
be a die-hard Republican) who's in that camp.

Jacob Fugal

(Disclaimer: I was/am on the fence about Ron Paul, but do feel myself
closer aligned to the Libertarian party than either of the Republican
or Democrat parties.)