OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Jun 12 01:18:48 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 10:20 -0600, Matthew Frederico wrote:
>    - Does the "Average American" REALLY own a big house and a big car?

Obviously Dave wasn't claiming that the all Americans live in
McMansions. He was saying the average middle class American owns a
bigGER house and bigGER car than needed. [Editors note: for certain
families, substitute "more cars than needed" for "bigger cars than
needed".]

How did our grandparents manage to raise larger families with smaller
homes[1] and smaller cars? Today some people act like you're a bad
parent if you put your 2.3 children in anything smaller than a top
heavy, gas guzzling steel cage. Just one car for the entire family?! And
Xuxa forbid your children should have to share a room!

Don't get me wrong, I love this country, but spend a couple years
someplace other than North America or western Europe. We're spoiled.

[1] http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/us-home-size.html