OT: HHO (Browns Gas) Conversion For Your Car

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 22:03:30 MDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> wrote:
> Just a note, turbo chargers and superchargers do NOT increase
> efficiency, only power. *charged vehicles generally get lower mpg.

Not true.  Power and efficiency are the same thing in a different
context.  When you have a charger making a bunch of boost and the
pedal is all the way to the floor you are definitely making more power
than if the same engine was naturally aspirated (NA).  In this case
the fact that you are getting more boom for the same amount of gas is
academic because you're basically pouring gas out on the ground.  The
reason charged vehicles get lower mpg is _not_ because they are less
efficient.  It's because the people who drive them have heavy feet.

More air means bigger boom.  I'm sure we all agree on that by now.
Bigger boom means less gas for the same amount of power.  So when your
foot is not all the way to the floor you do indeed get better
efficiency and therefore mileage.  More power == more efficient if
you're not pouring gas out on the ground.

My Honda Fit, which gets better mileage on the freeway than my old
Civic did, gets significantly worse mileage around town.  Why?
Because it has less power.  Less power == more effort to do the same
amount of work.  Stick anything on my car to increase it's power and
my in-town mileage will go up (to a point) because it takes less
effort to do the work.

It takes less effort for me to lift 50 pounds than it takes my wife.
Because my muscles are larger and generate more power than hers, that
same 50 pounds is less of an obstacle and I can lift it and put it
back down many more times than she can.  I'm sure I could come up with
more examples, but I hope we're all getting the point.

I spent a good portion of my younger days as a mechanic, both in the
Army and the civilian world and believe me, I have played around with
_lots_ of engines.  There is a reason that nearly all military diesel
engines have a turbo attached to them, and that reason is not solely
for max power.  Our ambulance HMMVs (had turbos) when I was in the
Army had a larger "effective range" than the NA HMMVs did.  One last
time, more power == more efficiency.

--
Alex Esplin