OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:26:58 MDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Kimball Larsen
<kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
> I would also like to pose the question:  *why* can't we change what an
> "average" american is?  Why do we all have to accept that average americans
> are in too much debt, make too little money, and the government has to bail
> them all out?

Some people are very happy being an average american.  I define
average american as someone who does not continue to better themselves
and their financial position in life.  Hell, most of software
engineers I know are happy making 40k a year and seem to settle with
no plans to change companies or go in and ask for a raise.

A great example, I worked tech support at Nortel for about a year (8
years ago) while putting myself through school.  The wage was small
even for that time (28k) and I was amazed people with families were
working their as their primary income.  A few people were doing it
only between jobs until something better came up which I found to be a
good lesson in how to take care of your family when times are tough.
Other people are still working there today making less than 40k.
These are very smart and bright people who could do so much better ---
but they settle.

Some people just don't realize that financial success does not come
easily.  You have to keep pushing, keep asking, and continue to
improve your skill set to make a good wage.  There is no reason a
software engineer with 8 years of experience should not be making >
100k. If you go into a job expecting to make 100k and ask for 100k,
with the experience required, you will be making 100k. You have to
have confidence that you are worth that much and have the experience
and knowledge to back it up.   If you go into a job expecting to make
70k, you will leave making that much.  If you think you are worth 50k,
that is how much you will make.

Granted, if I was out of a job, I would take any position that would
feed my family and keep my home...... but I would continually look for
something better.

Don't be average... Don't settle... Get paid what you worth and put a
little money away for a rainy day (or new iPhone June 11th).