OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Wed Jun 11 13:51:03 MDT 2008

On Jun 4, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
<snip>
> Gas prices would have to double from where they are now before I
> would start caring.  Even then it wouldn't be a huge deal. Why?
> Because I choose to drive an inexpensive, fuel efficient car and
> live within my means regarding house, cars, and toys.

Dave,

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are probably
not the primary "grocery shopper" for your family.  If I am wrong,
then I salute you, and motion that we should commission a bronze
statue of you in the husband "Hall of Fame". :) (for those who don't
read "emoticon", that statement was totally in jest.)

My wife has always been very conscious of price at the grocery store
and tries to get us the best food possible at the lowest price.  The
problem with your statement about gas getting to $8 a gallon is that
it doesn't just affect your cost to fill up, it affects the cost of
almost EVERYTHING YOU BUY!  If you don't believe me, go to the grocery
store.  Everything is more expensive.  Milk, Orange Juice, cereal,
bread, fruit, vegetables, rice, flour, and every other item has gone
up in price with the cost of gas.  So, if your tank holds 10 gallons,
now it costs $40 to fill up.  At $8, it is $80.  But there will be a
similar cost of goods and services increase for any business or
company that uses gas as part of their business.  Contractors, utility
companies, retail companies, airline companies, you name it, and it is
an industry that is affected in one way or another by the rise in fuel
prices.

If it was just cars driven by consumers that were paying the high gas
prices, that would be one thing, but unfortunately, the prices have
risen across the board.  The net effect is that the price increases
can nickel, dime, quarter, and dollar you to death.  Most of us on
this list will survive this, but I would prefer to put that money
towards retirement, remodeling our kitchen, a new car, my kids college
fund, etc, etc.  Basically anywhere but into paying more for gas and
the goods and services affected by those rising prices.

Grant

(note that I drive a car that I only have to fill up every 3 weeks,
but I STILL don't enjoy the higher prices).