OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Wed Jun 11 13:47:31 MDT 2008

<quote name="Kimball Larsen" date="Wed, 11 Jun 2008 at 13:26 -0600">
> Knowing Matt, I'm not entirely sure what he means by this comment, but
> I'm choosing to take it to mean that I work hard, save, and am careful
> with my resources.
>
> It should be known that Matt and I used to work for the same company,
> and he reported to me.
>
> I would also like to pose the question:  *why* can't we change what an
> "average" american is?  Why do we all have to accept that average
> americans are in too much debt, make too little money, and the
> government has to bail them all out?

Nobody said the government had to bail them out, just that they are in a
position where extroardinary gas prices can and *will* hurt them. I take
issue with all of you that say "eh, so what, I can deal with $8/gal
gas." Oh I'm sure you can, but that's no reason to be indifferent about
it. I could ride my bicycle to work if I had to, it might make my
commute 45 minutes or so. I can forego trips to california to visit the
inlaws (which we only do once every other year as it is). Does that mean
I welcome $8/gal gas? Heck no! I don't want to be paying that much, and
I don't think you do either. And while some of us can survive it, others
will be in a world of hurt. Again, I'm not saying the government should
bail anyone out. Rather, I think the government should stop spending us
into oblivion, inflating our money supply to the point of catastrophic
deflation, and otherwise screwing over us average americans. Whether you
like it or not, we are somewhat responsible for the actions of our govt.
because we _are_ a democracy (or republic) and we do have the power to
do something about gas prices and evil wars. However, nobody gives a
damn and live in their own little bubbles where they are 'fine' and can
survive because of whatever lifestyle they have chosen. The average
american also thinks they are 'fine' even if with less solid logic. I
see this apathy reflected in those posts that say "I'm ready for $8 gas,
if you're not it's your fault." You're missing the point! Gas should not
be that expensive. We are a prosperous and a blessed nation, we should
be able to travel and visit relatives on a semiannual basis. The only
consolation I have with this fiasco is that *finally* we're going to
have some serious looks at alternative energy, more fuel efficient
vehicles, maybe even nuclear power will make a comeback (one can only
hope). What really bugs me is the attitude. For heaven's sake people get
off your high horse and give a crap about what's going on in the world.
</rant>

> Perhaps my personal world is too small, but I can't see any irrefutable
> reason why average americans *can't* save money, be more prudent where
> they spend what they earn, and stay out of debt.

Well guess what, a lot of people *can't* save money because as fast as
they put it in inflation just eats it up. This is especially true of
seniors who have spent their lives saving up for retirement and now a
few years into retirement they find what they thought was a decent
pension is now not worth enough anymore to support them. But mark my
words, with inflation out of control as it is, it won't be long before
plenty more people will *not* be able to save.

Food storage is probably the only safe bet now. And perhaps some guns to
keep the looters at bay. (note: I'm not talking next month here or even
next year, but it's coming, unless we collectivy stand up and do
something about it)

Von Fugal