MySQL slow queries, small tables

Dave Smith dave at
Tue Jun 10 14:45:24 MDT 2008

Matthew Walker wrote:
> On Tue, June 10, 2008 2:38 pm, Dave Smith wrote:
>> No difference. I've tried nice and ionice (sorry, should have mentioned
>> that earlier).
> What scheduler is your kernel using?

Great question. I've tried it with cfq and deadline by echo'ing into
/sys/block/hda/queue/scheduler. No improvement there.

I just noticed that vim also suffers like MySQL. If I open a new file in
vim, add a line of text and run :w, it can take 1 minute to save while
'cat /dev/zero > /tmp/foo.bin' is running. I think it's probably related
to this ext3 fsync bug (thanks Byron for pointing that out to me):

I am now thinking I need to put my MySQL data on a separate partition of
its own (so it doesn't have to share a file system with evil doers like