[PLUG-announce] June PLUG Meeting: Steve French & Samba

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 16:51:41 MDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Ryan Simpkins <plug at ryansimpkins.com> wrote:

> Date: June 11th, 2008
> Time: 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM
> Location: Omniture, Inc.
>
> PLUG:
> IBM will be flying Steve French (Senior Engineer, IBM Linux Technology
> Center)
> in to Salt Lake on the 11th for the sole purpose of addressing PLUG (and
> all
> other local SIGs). We are grateful to have a member of the Samba team
> address
> the group. Please plan on attending.
>
> Steve will be covering recent progress of the Samba project. Including DFS,
> Kerberos, clustering, and other features.
> Steve's Bio:
>
> Steve French is a Senior Engineer in IBM's Linux Technology Center. He
> currently is the architect for Linux file systems, NFS and Samba within
> IBM.
> He is a member of the Samba team and the author and maintainer of the CIFS
> file system, one of the larger Linux file systems. Since graduating with a
> Masters degree from Rice University, he has been designing and developing
> file
> systems and networking software for more than 18 years. He is a frequent
> speaker at CIFS, Samba and networking events, and is co-author of the CIFS
> Technical Reference.

Just wanted to follow-up Ryan's cool announcement and include another
announcement.

The Utah Open Source Foundation has opened registration to the Utah Open
Source Conference happening August 28-30.  We'd like to invite everyone from
the
Provo Linux User Group to participate at a discounted rate of $35 for the
full 3-day conference.  To get this discount code, contact the PLUG Leader,
Ryan Simpkins
(information is at plug.org) and ask for this discount code!

In addition, UTOS will be at PLUG this Thursday with some free passes to
UTOSC 2008.  We will be giving them away at the beginning of the meeting so
come on
time if you want to win!!  Only attendees to this months PLUG presentation
will be eligible to receive a free pass.

If you are interested in learning more about the conference, presenters and
other information, keep your eyes on http://2008.utosc.com.  From time to
time, we'll be
announcing keynote speakers and presenters on this site as they get approved
and as we obtain them.  In the next week or so, we'll be verifying our
keynote speakers
and I can tell you that we have some pretty big names in both the Global and
Local communities.

I look forward to coming down to PLUG this week and participating.  See you
all there.  As usual, this meeting should be streamed (assuming the
presenter doesn't mind),
at http://stream.utos.org

Cheers,

Clint