OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 10:11:35 MDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Charles Curley
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> If the war ever was really about oil, it was an incredibly stupid
> blunder. Which means it's typical of government.

I started reading the 'OT - Gas to hit 4.00' thread this morning &
stopped(it's a long thread) to reply to Charles' comment because I
completely agree with the blunder assessment.

When's the last time you heard the phrase, "Blood for Oil" ?  1991 maybe?
It seems that we haven't spent a lot of American blood in this latest
5-year plus conflict, and we haven't received _any_ oil.
One popular refrain now has to do with WMDs, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Why isn't Iraq paying for the cost of the war?
And if Iraq isn't willing to foot the bill, why are we still there?

I also wonder about the frequency of automobile fatalities - have they
increased along with gas prices?
It seems that scooters, motorcycles, smaller cars and vehicles with
less ground clearance would offer increased risk when collisions
occur.

As long as we're talking about oil in an interational context...
In Russia, oil companies are getting increased tax
breaks(http://www.russiatoday.ru/business/news/25818) and the country
has had a flat personal tax rate of 13 percent since 2001.
(http://www.heritage.org/press/commentary/ed032403.cfm)

--
Lars

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless
minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
--Samuel Adams