OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Jun 5 20:30:13 MDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 08:00:04PM -0600, Andy Bradford wrote:
> Thus said Charles Curley on Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:19:59 MDT:
>
> > The only questions are who is surprised at this, and which hole in the
> > sand did  they have  their heads  in? (Probably  an exclusive  diet of
> > American media.)
>
> Apparently there are  a lot of people surprised by  it... why else would
> public figures and their followers petition congress for a solution when
> prices get ``too high'' or at  ``critical levels''? As if price controls
> is something that congress should be involved in.

Yeah. I think it was HL Mencken who said that no-one ever went broke
underestimating the intelligence of the American people.

> > I'm going to keep right on driving my Suburban for the nonce.
>
> I hope  you do  keep driving it.  If you start  curbing your  demand for
> gasoline, then we may never arrive  at an alternative energy
> source. :-)

Oh, I doubt it. I drive less than 7,000 miles a year, and that
includes a recent expedition to the San Juan Islands. I knew 20 years
ago this was coming and have prepared for it.

> Maybe once  the prices get  high enough, someoe will  seriously consider
> developing an alternative  since the profits will certainly  be worth it
> then.

There are alternatives in the works now.

> > And if McCain  gets elected, expect it  to go up faster  than if Obama
> > gets elected.
>
> So, if the pain  comes more slowly its better? It would  seem to me that
> the  end results  of the  policies implemented  by the  ``ruling class''
> don't differ much. Sure, they may have superficial differences when they
> are sold to the  public --- assuming the public even has  any say in the
> matter ---  that lead  many to  believe that there  is a  major partisan
> division, but is there really that much difference in the end?

No, not really. They agree on the "right" of the state to boss us
around. They differ only in the niggling details.