SSH Login Speed

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 13:31:42 MDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Kimball Larsen
<kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
> same private lan (192.168.0.x).  How would dns come into play here?

I'm guessing that GSSAPI is one of the forms of authentication that
your server has enabled.  GSSAPI does reverse DNS lookups (among other
things).

> /etc/ssh/sshd_config is identical for both machines.

Strange.  My understanding is that GSSAPI is similar to PAM -- it's an
authentication API with a modular backend.  It's possible that you
have GSSAPI enabled as an authentication mechanism in both SSH daemon
configs, but only one of the two servers is using a GSSAPI backend
that actually does a reverse DNS lookup...  Or your have your client
IP address in the /etc/hosts file on one box but not the other (or
something like that).  Just grasping at straws :-).

-Bryan