SSH Login Speed

Kimball Larsen kimball at
Thu Jun 5 13:20:18 MDT 2008

On Jun 5, 2008, at 1:03 PM, Jason Hall wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Kimball Larsen
> <kimball at> wrote:
>> The odd behavior is that it takes between 4-6 seconds to log into
>> jake over
>> ssh, and under a second to log into elwood.
>> Both are using shared keys for the login, and both are on my local
>> gigabit
>> subnet.
>> Where should I be looking to find causes for delays in ssh login?
> DNS lookups?
> --
> Jayce^

I'm fairly thick about this stuff here - I'm not sure where to look to
see if sshd is doing dns lookups.

Even if it were, all 3 machines in question (mine, 2 servers) are on
the same private lan (192.168.0.x).  How would dns come into play here?

/etc/ssh/sshd_config is identical for both machines.

- Kimball