OT - Gas to hit 4.00

William Attwood wattwood at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 14:38:51 MDT 2008

Let's do some number crunching...

Back when gasoline was $2.20/gal, it would cost me 22.20 to fill a 10-gallon
tank..  Let's say I did this once a week, so, 88.80/month in gasoline costs.

Now let's factor in 4.00/gal.  I am spending 40.00 to fill a 10-gallon
tank.. Let's follow the same assumptions, putting me at 160/month in fuel.

I'm paying almost 2x as much for gasoline.  Honestly, I don't mind...  Why?
It's an additional 80/mo for a required expense.  I make a decent wage, so
factoring in 80/mo means I get to cut out some fat (literally, too) by not
eating out as much (living healthy by cooking at home) and packing lunches.

Let's examine eating out.  Let's say you eat out once a day for breakfast
before work.  That puts you at 20 meals a month.  If you are paying
$5.00/meal that means you pay 80/mo on breakfast eating out.

I'm not saying it's a direct correlation that you stop eating out and make
up the cost of your fuel..  It costs for groceries to make breakfast in the
morning, so you may be able to shave off 1/2 of your breakfast expense....

That's if you need to shave anything for the additional cost of fuel.  I,
personally, do not. Fuel will need to go a lot higher before I bother with
worrying about the cost.

However, I did purchase a scooter that would pay for itself in 24 weeks of
riding to and from work... Unfortunately, I didn't factor in the cost of
crashing the scooter ;)

Let's keep being smart about issues..

-Will