OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Wed Jun 4 14:30:09 MDT 2008

Regarding high gas prices, Grant Shipley wrote:
>> Does our government not realize this is killing the average American?

That's because the average American is broke. It's not the government's
problem that Americans can't control their spending and apparently
prefer to live paycheck-to-paycheck. Don't think it's because wages are
down either. It's totally discretionary behavior. The average American
has much nicer (and bigger!) cars than I and a fancier house and
amenities, and yet I make much more than the average American. What's
wrong with this picture? Gas prices would have to double from where they
are now before I would start caring.  Even then it wouldn't be a huge
deal. Why? Because I choose to drive an inexpensive, fuel efficient car
and live within my means regarding house, cars, and toys. I'm frankly
totally disappointed in the people around me who choose to spend more
than they earn on crap rather than "acting their wage."

Although I have to say that it's behavior like this that has created a
housing bust and caused the Fed to reduce interest rates, which means I
get my pick of nice real estate at bargain basement prices. Maybe I
should be grateful for all the self-control lacking Americans out there.
Isn't it great to be American?

--Dave