Network based messaging

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Fri Jul 25 08:59:23 MDT 2008

Dave Smith wrote:
> How about some good C++ and Python libraries for XMPP/Jabber and IRC?
>
> --Dave

I use jabber for the office, 200+ users, and it works quite well.
Openfire is the best for the office environment (most features
implemented, stable, great admin  interface, generally just works).  It
is written in java, but don't hold that against it, as it has the
singular distinction as being the only java app I have ever used that
doesn't weep memory, pound CPU, or overall run poorly.  Quite an
accomplishment, actually.  Of course, it may be a little more than you
are looking for in the case of this project.

Some of the other jabber servers have less features implemented, but
would work just fine for what you have described (aka, broadcast, etc).
Jabberd2 was decent when last I used it (a few years ago), and was all
cli based conf files, etc, and use a much smaller footprint that the
Openfire.  We went away from it solely to get the expanded features that
Openfire has (audit logs, more plugins, gui admin interface).

As for libraries, I would check out the jabber.org site.

http://www.jabber.org/libraries

-Steve