Network based messaging

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Fri Jul 25 02:40:55 MDT 2008

Dave Smith wrote:
> I've looked at JMS and threw it out because of the Java dependencies. My
> software is mostly Python and C++. I also looked at (and used) CORBA,
> but it's too complex and the learning curve is killer. What I really
> want is D-Bus, but currently D-Bus doesn't support remote messaging[1]
> since it relies on Unix Domain Sockets.

1. The Spread toolkit.  There is a Python binding.  I've used it before
(version 3.17); it works well.  http://www.spread.org/

2. XMPP, the protocol behind Jabber.  Some people believe it is going to
get very popular.

3. Something on top of Google's new Protocol Buffers.  I can't tell you
the number of times I've wanted something generic like protobuf.

http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/

Shane