Network based messaging

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Jul 24 21:33:37 MDT 2008

Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> writes:

> I've been looking for a good messaging system in Linux to send simple
> messages between different pieces of software I'm developing. I would
> like a central messaging service that handles moving messages around
> the network for me, such that each application can connect to the
> messaging service and get messages as they arrive. The messages are of
> a broadcast nature and each app doesn't necessarily need to know about
> all the other apps who happen to care about its messages (they should
> remain de-coupled). The various applications will not be on the same
> host, so network-based is a must, and it must be able to span
> broadcast domains.

I think what you want is AMQP: amqp.org

RabbitMQ is a free, open source implementation (in Erlang): www.rabbitmq.com

Apache ActiveMQ is another one, but its AMQP implementation is
apparently in limbo. It might still be worth looking into anyway.  It
probably has the most language bindings.

Good luck. :)

                --Levi