Network based messaging

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Thu Jul 24 17:00:06 MDT 2008

On Thursday 24 July 2008, Dave Smith wrote:
> I've been looking for a good messaging system in Linux to send simple
> messages between different pieces of software I'm developing. I would
> like a central messaging service that handles moving messages around the
> network for me, such that each application can connect to the messaging
> service and get messages as they arrive. The messages are of a broadcast
> nature and each app doesn't necessarily need to know about all the other
> apps who happen to care about its messages (they should remain
> de-coupled). The various applications will not be on the same host, so
> network-based is a must, and it must be able to span broadcast domains.
>
> I've looked at JMS and threw it out because of the Java dependencies. My
> software is mostly Python and C++. I also looked at (and used) CORBA,
> but it's too complex and the learning curve is killer. What I really
> want is D-Bus, but currently D-Bus doesn't support remote messaging[1]
> since it relies on Unix Domain Sockets.
>
> Any ideas?

Why not just use an irc server? You can encode your messages if necessary.
But if all you need is a centralized message repeater, that's exactly what it
does...

There's tons of example irc code--you could create your own simple repeater
that does nothing but, or use a full-fledged irc server and deal with any
quirks that may entail.