Rails model with no table?

Stephen Ward sjward at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 16:37:22 MDT 2008

> The problem I'm currently trying to solve is this: there is a model
> class in this rails app that does not have a corresponding database
> table.  In fact, there is a comment in the model class code that says:
> "I admit this is a bit of a hack, since there is not [sic] 'XYZ' table
> in the db".  When I try to run the app, webrick spits out the
> following: "Mysql::Error: Table 'XYZ' doesn't exist: SHOW FIELDS FROM
> `XYZ`".

Problem solved!  It finally occurred to me that this project began
development about a year ago, so it couldn't have been using Rails
2.x, at least at the beginning.  I wasn't thinking about that when I
installed Rails this morning.

So I downgraded to Rails 1.2.6 and ... *poof* ... the problem went away.

Many thanks to William and Jacob for your suggestions.

-Stephen