linux hardware compatibility list

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Jul 16 14:55:23 MDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:11:06PM -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Brian Beardall wrote:
> > I have an ATI Radeon X800 graphics card using the fglrx and AMD has
> > greatly improved the driver over the last year. The performance for my
> > X800 is the same as it would be in the other OS. AMD has also been
> > delivering same day graphics support for all of their new cards. So if
> > you wanted to buy the latest ATI 4870 graphics card it does work. nVidia
> > has support for their latest GFX, but it is in their beta driver so
> > don't expect that to work in any distro yet. Phoronix has benchies if
> > you want to see them.
>
> I have yet to get dual monitor mode working with ATI's drivers.  Tried
> the catalyst control panel, the gnome panel, editing the xorg.conf file.
>  Can get mirrored mode, but not xinerama.  Anyone successfully got this
> to work?  Right now I'm dealing with mainly X1300 cards (not too powerful).

Well, maybe you need a more powerful card. :-) I have:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]

and I'm running dual headed (Zaphod mode :-) with the proprietary
drivers via medibuntu. I can run mirrored mode or "big display"
mode. It even spreads the wallpaper across the two monitors.

The whole thing has been solid as a brick, and updates are smooth.

Of course, I don't play games or other graphics intensive stuff.