linux hardware compatibility list

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 12:47:54 MDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Kyle Waters <unum at unum5.org> wrote:
>   A few years ago I was involved in doing monthly installfests, and working
> a hardware job.  I kind of new what to use and what to stay away from.  I
> haven't done much with hardware for a while, but I think things have changed
> and Linux generally just works(tm) now.  But I'm about to buy a new
> desktop(my eeepc arrived today. yeah!).  I'm thinking I want to go with ati
> chipset for both mb and graphics, with an amd processor.  I'm not doing
> anything high end and am only looking at $1000 for the whole setup
> (including monitor).  Is there anything I should avoid?
>
> Kyle

I'd avoid ATI/AMD graphics, but the chipset seems fine.  I've got a
Gigabyte GA-MA790X DS4 as my main desktop with an AMD Phenom and I
have everything working superb.  My graphics is an Nvidia GeForce 7600
GT and I can run Compiz Fusion without any real problems (maybe once
or twice a month I get a glitch that kills a single application, but
that is probably the application not my hardware).

I tend to stay away from ATI junk just from what I read; I haven't
actually taken it upon myself to disregard all the warnings plastered
on all the hardware lists that say stay away from ATI junk (regarding
graphics stuff).

Some people seem to swear by Intel and Intel chipsets; I've had fairly
good results from that mentality but I (obviously) don't automatically
discount other options either.  Intel is good, but that doesn't mean
something else is as good or better.  Just that if you want to get
something you can be highly confident will work out of the box, Intel
is often a good choice.

Good luck!

Also, since you mentioned an HCL:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/