linux hardware compatibility list

Kyle Waters unum at unum5.org
Tue Jul 15 11:57:29 MDT 2008

    A few years ago I was involved in doing monthly installfests, and
working a hardware job.  I kind of new what to use and what to stay away
from.  I haven't done much with hardware for a while, but I think things
have changed and Linux generally just works(tm) now.  But I'm about to
buy a new desktop(my eeepc arrived today. yeah!).  I'm thinking I want
to go with ati chipset for both mb and graphics, with an amd processor.
I'm not doing anything high end and am only looking at $1000 for the
whole setup (including monitor).  Is there anything I should avoid?

Kyle