[sllug-members]: Openmoko Neo FreeRunner

Brad Midgley bmidgley at xmission.com
Thu Jul 10 15:12:38 MDT 2008

fwiw

> I didn't think I got them confused. Maybe brad did? He said "the gps has
> problems". That's what I was talking about upgrading. Not the gprs
> radio. I said to use 802.11 in place of not having it.

I didn't get them mixed up. The gprs radio works as designed (slowly)
but the gps radio reportedly has issues with its antenna/reception.

The data radio speed doesn't matter to a lot of people, but I use
tethering just about every day during my bus commute, when on a
customer's site with its hostile network, traveling out of town, etc.
It's the same reason the 3g iphone wouldn't work well for me.

I did work out a way to add a 3g adapter to my neo, but it is a bit
ridiculous. The battery pack and usb verizon adapter end up taking more
bulk than the phone itself :(

Brad