[sllug-members]: Openmoko Neo FreeRunner

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 08:58:55 MDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Knight Walker <kwalker at kobran.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 17:54 -0600, Chad wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm curious if anyone has bought or is planning on buying (soon) the
>> Neo FreeRunner from OpenMoko.com?
>>
>> I am mighty interested in snagging me one of these, but I have read a
>> few people around the web talk about their instability.  I'm wondering
>> if these are just people who aren't comfortable with Linux, or if
>> these are people that are "typical" LUG-type users who are actually
>> having problems with their phone.  I can handle my way around
>> compiling and configuring applications, but I'm not a programmer by
>> any stretch.  I'm looking for some real world experience from someone
>> closer to my "linux equal" :D  Does anybody have some good info on the
>> topic?  Anybody own a 1973 and have some feedback?
>
> The FreeRunner (Not the Neo1973, which is sold-out and discontinued)
> that is available for purchase now has alpha-quality software, so the
> instability is likely real, at least for the time being. I'm on the
> OpenMoko Community and Devel mailing lists and have been since January
> '07, and I've kept an eye on the development from before the first
> release of the Neo1973 hardware up to the current FreeRunner (GTA02v6)
> hardware. The software that it ships with is already outdated (Which is
> a good thing at this stage) and even the core devs don't suggest using
> it as a day-to-day phone yet.  They're developing rapidly, and there are
> already three different firmware development projects being worked on,
> the "2007.2" GTK-based software (Which is what the phone ships with,
> IIRC), the "ASU" (QTopia-based software with an E17 WM, which seems to
> be the way the majority is gravitating) and the FSO (Freesmartphone.org)
> middleware which is replacing most of the guts of the existing software.
>
> I've been itching to get one, and currently I'm scraping up enough
> non-bill-money to afford one (And I went to the SLLUG meeting where a
> mobile developer had a Neo1973 on-hand), but I'm not hopeful that I can
> replace my aging Nokia phone quite yet.
>
> -KW

Thanks for the info!  I read similar reports to this, and one of the
guys who seemed to know what he was talking about said maybe by the
end of September we might see a drastic change that will make them a
lot more functional as a day-to-day mainstream phone.  Would you agree
with that timeline?  Is that because of the Google SoC stuff will be
merged by then?  My predicament is that the phone looks awesome, and I
want one.  But I don't want to have an Alpha experience.  I'm also
"afraid" they will sell out really quickly like the 1973's did and
then I'll be stuck drooling for whatever they ship next year or maybe
even longer..

I just don't want to miss out, but I also don't want to buy a new toy
I can't really use.  If we are talking 2 or 3 months (September would
be cool) sounds good to me.  But if it's like 6-12 months I'd rather
wait for the next batch to roll out.  And from what Brad said about
the GPS I'd think waiting might be the best option anyway.  I'm a
T-Mobile customer (a die hard one too, I would rather cut my eyes out
than go with any other provider in my area as they all have major
problems I cannot stand to deal with) and AFAIK they don't have 3G so
that's not really a deciding factor for me right now.

So I guess I'll wait a little longer and see what happens...  Any
ideas on if the GPS problems Brad was talking about and the EDGE radio
upgrade might be happening soonish (if those problems are confirmed)?

Thanks!

-Chad