[OT] Congrats to Josh and his Tank

Josh Coates jcoates at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 22:30:18 MDT 2008

they are out there, but very difficult to find.  very rare items, like tanks
and airplanes don't go up on ebay (usually) - the sales are typically
private closed deals that are by invitation only.
plus aircraft are very expensive to buy and maintain - much more expensive
than tanks (which aren't cheap) and also, you can easily get killed in one.
if an old military vehicle breaks down, you just get out and walk.  if a
vintage plane breaks down, you fall to the earth and get blow'd up.

but as far as war planes go, just about anything you can think of is out
there, but the trick is to find someone willing to sell it you.  it took me
over a year to acquire my hellcat, and that was after traveling all over the
country to visit various owners, museums and vehicles to figure out the
market.  a lot of these special items (like a p51) would come out of a
museum, and most museums don't like selling their items - but it does
happen.

a good reference site on the topic: http://www.warbirdregistry.org/

-josh