Now hiring for the fastest storage product on the planet (and known universe!)

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Thu Jul 3 14:44:56 MDT 2008

>> I have several cards on my desk.  They move 800 MB/s (think a full DVD
>> every six seconds)

Interesting.

A partner company of ours moves bits about 50% faster than that and
shoves them onto a RAIDed array of dozens of 2.5" drives in a real time
I/O system. Pretty cool, but it takes a few rack U's of space, and uses
a *lot* of power. I've been wanting to develop something that can keep
pace with them but in a smaller form factor. Maybe your tech is the way
for me to go

If you want to talk about serious bandwidth, come to the lab down the
hall from me and see our gear that can move a DVD every 4 seconds, but
it can move a few dozen in parallel, up to 19 DVD's per second on our
biggest box. Of course this gear doesn't store anything, so it's not
exactly apples-to-apples, but hey, it's fun to measure in terms of DVD's
per second (DPS).

"How fast is your hard drive?"
"100 milliDPS"

--Dave