Computer case recommendations

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Jul 1 08:56:20 MDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 07:54:05AM -0600, Matt Nelson wrote:
> I really like the idea of shelling into a dev box, then I can put my main
> machine to sleep when it is not in use, however I have to have the ability
> to have DVI out and to play .x264 video which may be a stretch for the

No DVI on the fit-PC.

> processor, and more then likely for the video card?  Any thoughts?

I don't know about that.

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Garth Hill <thaabit at amily.info> wrote:
>

> > Yeah I'm a little envious--I was going for small and quiet and I didn't
> > find the fit-pc.  The shuttle is nice bc you can buy your own memory, hd,
> > processor.  Why no good for a dev box (presuming it's a dev server that you
> > shell into)?  I think as long as you could get linux to work on it, good
> > enough.  And that really low power draw is nice for leaving it on all the
> > time.  The only drawback is the dual 100mb (why not single gigabit?).

I guess it depends on what you're developing. I wouldn't want to
recompile the entire Linux kernel on it; too slow. That's my main
concern. But if you're developing for embedded applications, you can
use it for a dev machine, then build the board that's in the thing
into your product.

The dual 100MB does me just fine. I use one box as a firewall, so it
has to be dual homed. As for why not any gigabit at all, it would be
overkill anyway. I haven't run netperf on it, but using one as an
apt-cacher server indicates top speeds of ~2800-2900 KBPS. If you
don't need the second port, ignore it.