Political and "Off-Topic" Discussions on PLUG Mailing List

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Thu Jan 31 17:38:48 MST 2008

On Thu, January 31, 2008 17:15, Corey Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 14:21 -0700, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
>> plug-jobs (for those desperately seeking work, and recruiters that spam me).
>> plug-announce (meeting announcements, and other important stuff)
>
> Seems like we discuss this every year or so. I prefer to keep job
> announcements on the main list. There's more exposure to potential
> applicants.

I agree Corey. That will not change. Jobs will still come to the main list. I
simply want to have a method to make it easier for the recruiters to
participate and get those jobs to us. I don't suspect many will subscribe
unless they are only interested in jobs. I'm sure there will be some give and
take as we find the right balance. At the end of the day - it is about
enhancing participation and making it easier to get the message out.

I think PLUG needs to do a better job offering employment information to the
members. Eventually we will get there... and we are actually talking with a
commercial company about adding to what we currently do. They could get us
more interesting/targeted job listings that members might actually care about
to enhance what we already have. We'll see how it goes. It is one of the
unofficial goals for 2008.

What I'm thinking: post your jobs to plug-jobs, it gets posted to the main
mailing list. Then, it ends up in an archive on the web site (in a database)
where you can easily view the most recently posted jobs. We will then enhance
that list (hopefully) with additional targeted jobs listings that make sense
for the group. If you post your job to just 'plug' you still would get the
whole list, but your job wouldn't be indexed on plug.org. The choice would be
yours. Does that make sense?

If you are looking for a job, and that is all, you can subscribe to the
plug-jobs list and get a feed of jobs as they come in. You could also
subscribe to the PLUG jobs RSS feed on plug.org and keep up to date that way.

Basically I'm going to be trying a lot of different things, and tweaking as we
go. Hopefully everyone is pleased with the outcome, and at the end of the day
you feel PLUG is offering you a real _service_ rather than just a
mailing-list. And, that (with a bit of luck) will encourage you to participate
in other ways with the group.

-Ryan