Political and "Off-Topic" Discussions on PLUG Mailing List

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Thu Jan 31 14:21:43 MST 2008

This comes up every now and then...

The PLUG list is one of the few (maybe the only?) 'open mic' forums for Linux
users in the state. As far as I know (and there may be exceptions) the mailing
list is fully un-moderated and has never been censored (minus spam filtering).
It is up to all of you to either get along, or not, as you so choose. We are a
community - and having unfiltered discussion about whatever topic you think
applies is important. That might lead to disagreements. Let's face it: if you
had problems with people disagreeing, you wouldn't be here. My advice is to
not take it too personally, and participate! You have a right to your say,
even if your say is that we should take away that right - but we still aren't
going to.

Besides, you do have procmail installed, right? Maybe someone can post
procmail rules as protest to threads they disagree wtih? ;-)

I don't think we should change anything on this list one bit. I am, however,
going to be setting up two new mailing lists that will be moderated:

plug-jobs (for those desperately seeking work, and recruiters that spam me).
plug-announce (meeting announcements, and other important stuff)

__You won't miss anything if you stay subscribed to this list.__ However, if
the e-mail load/topics are too much - keep an eye out for those lists "Coming
Real Soon Now" (TM).

That said, if a subscriber crosses the line from expressing his/her free ideas
as he/she sees they apply to the Open Source community to full-fledged SPAMMER
- you will be squashed like the bug you are. Also, no breaking the law. I
know, that's going to disappoint a few of you out there. ;-)

Mmmkay? Back to your regularly scheduled flamefest.

-Ryan