why does WinSCP work, but firefox not?

Mike Lovell toelovell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 09:31:11 MST 2008

Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:

>>        Does this machine have AOL installed on it?  A recent update from AOL
>> called Parental Controls will disable all internet browsing except through
>> the AOL browser (IE, Opera, Firefox, Netscape will all be disabled).  Find
>> and kill any AOL software on the machine and I would get that it will start
>> working again.
>>
>>    JOEL
>>

> Why, I am just shocked that you'd imply I might have anything remotely like
> AOL on this machine.....
>
> Seriously though, No, never have had an AOL account and never hope to
> either. I didn't think anyone on this list would even consider such, as AOL
> is really the antithesis of the Net and net access.
>
> I think I'll back it all up, reformat and reinstall! Seems like my best
> option at this point.

You might want to try "resetting" the TCP stack in windows before you
nuke the machine. I have seen doing that fix some random problems. You
can only do it from the command line in XP. Here is the command

netsh int ip reset c:\log.txt

At least I think that is the correct syntax. It has been a little while
since I have done it and I don't have an XP box in front of me to test
with. Good luck.

Mike