why does WinSCP work, but firefox not?

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Wed Jan 30 17:45:49 MST 2008

If I can run WinSCP on a box running XP Pro, and with it access both Windows
and Linux on other machines on the LAN, and yet, from that same XP Pro box,
I am unable to access the net, is that possible? Should it be possible?

I have one application on this XP Pro box which is able to go out and
transmit over my cable connection, data to a claims clearing house, and yet,
if I open Firefox, or IE neither of those will browse the net...no
connection out.

Similarly, ping out doesn't work. I can ssh from this box to others, in a
cmd prompt, but if I 'ping microsoft.com' it shows MS's IP, but says Request
Timed Out.

I guess the fact that WinSCP seems to work, is what throws me, but perhaps
that is just cause it works locally, but not out on the greater 'Net.

"Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity.
The soul must see through these eyes alone,
and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded."
	 Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: German Author and Philosopher