Perl IDE Question

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 16:49:47 MST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 12:35 PM, Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the Komodo tip, I'm checking it out right now.
>
> I tried EPIC on eclipse and didn't really like it much (don't much
> like eclipse in general, it still feels too slow).
> As for VIM, I want to like VIM I really do.  Every couple of years I
> give it another chance, but it's just too different from what I'm used
> to, and I'm too old and slow to adapt to it's wily ways.  (same can be
> said for emacs as well)

Running the latest Eclipse from eclipse.org (3.2.2) on the latest Sun
JDK (1.6.0_u4) has always quited these performance complaints in my
limited experience.  Maybe you're already doing so and the speed of
eclipse still doesn't cut the mustard for you.  I dunno.  If not, I
would give that a shot (if performance is the main thing holding you
back from using EPIC).

Most people who try out eclipse use the eclipse package provided by
their distro.  This is unfortunate, because they always run eclipse on
gcj/gij -- which is the cause of the extreme slowness.

-Bryan