Perl IDE Question

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 13:34:49 MST 2008

Don't get me wrong here.
The point I'm trying to make is that VI and Emacs are a world away in
terms of how they operate in the general sense, from what I'm used to.
I'm willing to make some concessions away from familiarity, but
changing over to one of those requires a paradigm shift in how I think
about editing files.

I have the time to click through a menu system where New Projects is
now under a Project, or Options or whatever heading in the menu.  But
what I don't have time for is to learn that there are n modes of the
editor and if I hit the wrong key, I may be in edit, I may be in
replace, I may be in run, heck I may even be in tetris!

If I had a few weeks, and an "n editor for complete idiots" book, I
would probably take the time to learn it.

But facts are facts, and the fact is, I've just been conscripted to
maintain 10k lines of language that is famous for it's terseness, from
a programmer who has clearly learned the fine art of the Perl one
liner, and who clearly believed that comments are for sissy's.

So I have a choice, I can try and learn a tried and true editing
environment like emacs, which will give me everything I need and a bag
of chips, if only I can remember that C means Ctrl and remember what
key is the M key.  Causing me to lose a lot of productivity while I
try and switch over.  Or I can learn a new IDE, that has a very
familiar (albeit not identical) interface to what I'm already used to.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Sincerely,
Steve