MySQL in May & Meeting Updates

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Mon Jan 28 18:09:19 MST 2008

I wanted to send out a quick update to the group. I've confirmed that Jay
Pipes, Community Relations Manager, MySQL will be presenting to our group on
May 14th at Omniture. We expect a lot of interest in this event due to the
recent acquisition of MySQL by Sun. We hope you'll mark it on your calendar
and plan on attending. Jay is planning on a marquee event, and will be
prepared for an extended meeting to answer your questions.

In two weeks, February 13th, we have Matt Asay and Jared Ottley presenting to
the group on Open Source business and Alfresco. This should be a *very*
interesting meeting and we hope to see many of you there.

As always, if you or your organization is interested in presenting to the top
Linux talent in Utah, please let me know. All it takes is a quick e-mail to
your manager (the worst that can happen is you get a 'not interested'). We
can't do it without your participation and support, so a big thanks to
everyone.

Matt Asay Bio:

  Matt Asay has been involved with open source since 1998, and is one
of the industry's leading open source business strategists. Asay
currently manages sales and business development activities in the
Americas for Alfresco, the open source leader in Enterprise Content
Management.

Prior to Alfresco, Asay co-founded Novell®'s Linux Business Office in
2002 and was an early agitator and architect for the company's shift
to open source. In 2003 Asay founded the Open Source Business
Conference, the industry's premier open source strategy event, and
has served as an Entreprenuer-in-Residence for Thomas Weisel Venture
Partners, focusing on open source investment opportunities. Before
Novell, Asay was General Manager at Lineo®, an embedded Linux
software startup, where he ran Lineo's Residential Gateway business.

Asay earned his Juris Doctorate degree at Stanford Law School,
spending two of his three years studying software licensing and
innovation, and specifically the GNU General Public License, under
Professor Larry Lessig. He also holds Masters and Bachelors degrees
from the University of Kent (Canterbury, UK) and Brigham Young
University, respectively.

Jared Ottley Bio:

Jared Ottley is a Solutions Engineer at Alfresco.  He is responsible
for Pre-sales demos and support. He has been working with several
partners on developing an Alfresco virtual appliance.

Prior to Alfresco,  he was the Linux QA lead for Novell's Open
Enterprise Server, where he also was involved with QA work for Suse
Enterprise Linux Server.  In these capacities, he worked on Xen,
Clustering, Storage, Patch Management, Product Installation and
Integration.  Before joining Novell, he was a Java developer at the
Fifth Circuit, US Court of Appeals.

Jared has degree in Political Science and Philosophy from BYU, where
he studied the use of the Internet as a Campaign Tool in
Congressional Elections.