webmaster at domain, To create or not?

Chris Carey chris.carey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 12:28:20 MST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 11:20 AM, Stephen Shaw <sshaw at decriptor.com> wrote:
> I was emailed by someone noting that the webmaster at domain didn't exist and
> that it would be great to create that and forward it.  My thought is that it
> would be heavily spammed.  Do people still create webmaster?  Is it a good
> or bad idea?
>
> Stephen

I personally have all this mail go into an "administration" email
account because it's usually pretty noisy.

>From http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2142.txt :

Various Internet documents have specified mailbox names to be used
   when reaching the operators of the new service; for example, [RFC822
   6.3, C.6] requires the presence of a <POSTMASTER at domain> mailbox name
   on all hosts that have an SMTP server.  Other protocols have defacto
   standards for well known mailbox names, such as <USENET at domain> for
   NNTP (see [RFC977]), and <WEBMASTER at domain> for HTTP (see [HTTP]).
   Defacto standards also exist for well known mailbox names which have
   nothing to do with a particular protocol, e.g., <ABUSE at domain> and
   <TROUBLE at domain>.