Data Center Management Software

Peter McNabb peter at mcnabbs.org
Thu Jan 24 16:54:29 MST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have several racks of equipment (servers and such) that I'd like
> to monitor. What I'm looking for is software that will display the
> equipment in a view that shows its physical position in the rack,
> and show ping status on each one. Ideally the display would know
> about equipment that spans more than one rack unit. Has anyone seen
> something like this?

Perhaps nagios + nagvis (http://www.nagvis.org/screenshots) might be
something you're looking for? I've set up a nagios system that
monitors 350+ hosts. Most of those are just ping checks, but a dozen
or so do detailed service checking (apache, ldap, etc.). I've been
happy with the system and really like the openness of nagios. They
made it easy to glue on accessories.

-peter