[OT] Foreign Policy

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 14:44:22 MST 2008


Well first of all common sense from the part of the poll workers,
should serve to prevent that.
However no one is EVER denied their right to vote this way.  If after
being challenged you assert that you do in fact have the right to
vote, you simply prove it (with ID, mail or whatever), or cast a
provisional ballot.

Provisional does not mean it goes un-counted.  It means that the right
of the ballot caster need to be looked at closer to determine if in
fact that person has the right to vote.

If you cast a vote provisionally you are given a receipt for your
ballot.  You can check online in a couple of days to determine whether
or not it was counted.  If it was determined you did not have the
right to vote, and you still contend that you do, then you go to the
local elections commision and file a formal dispute, or review.

Failing that, we have the judiciary, who do have the right to toss an
entire election, and require that the election be run again.

Sincerely,
Steve

On Jan 24, 2008 2:30 PM, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Jan 24, 2008 2:01 PM, Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We already have Voter ID requirements.
> > About 3% of registered voters are randomly selected (ahead of time
> > it's in the poll books), and must provide some proof of identity.  No
> > reason is given for the ID check requirement, some are just "lucky",
> > some may have moved recently etc.
> >
> > This can be a piece of mail (because it's a federal offence to posses
> > someone else's mail), with the name and address professionally printed
> > on it.  or it can be a government issued ID, or it can be the
> > individuals voter registration card.
> >
> > However the name AND address are what are being verified.
> >
> > Also anyone at any time can challenge ANYONES right to vote.  This
> > comes as a verbal challenge.
> > "I challenge your right to vote here sir/mam  (insert reason here)"
> >
> > I saw it happen 2 times at the polling location I managed.
> > In one instance it was because the person who had attempted to vote no
> > longer lived in that precinct.
> > Someone from their ward saw them, and challenged their right to vote there.
> > They revealed that they no longer lived there, but thought they were
> > supposed to vote in the precinct they had registered in.
> >
> > This is not the case, you always vote in the precinct you currently
> > live in, regardless of where you are registered.  So we sent them to
> > the proper location.
> >
> > In the other case, it was a minor (the kid would have turned 18 the
> > next day), and again someone from their ward challenged their right to
> > vote.
> >
> > It is your duty as an American Citizen to challenge the vote of anyone
> > for whom you have cause to believe does not have the right to vote.
> > This may be a minor, or someone who has moved away recently, or
> > someone whom you believe to not be a US Citizen, or someone who is a
> > convicted felon.
> >
> > At worst, you are wrong, then the person will have had to cast a
> > provisional ballot which requires an extended review, but could still
> > count.  At best you will have done your part to ensure a free and fair
> > election.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Steve
>
> That's awesome, thanks for the info!  How bad would it look if you
> stood in line and called out everyone who appeared to be an "Illegal
> Alien" though?  More directly, what stops the racist folks from
> accusing every single non-white voter of not being legit and having to
> prove it?
>
> -Chad
>
>
> /*
> PLUG: http://plug.org, #utah on irc.freenode.net
> Unsubscribe: http://plug.org/mailman/options/plug
> Don't fear the penguin.
> */
>



More information about the PLUG mailing list