[OT] Foreign Policy

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Jan 24 14:27:00 MST 2008

Bryan Sant wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 1:45 PM, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
>> Bryan Sant wrote (+5 Funny):
>>> I do know the EFF's intent.  They want voter fraud to continue because
>>> it primarily helps the Dems.
>> That's one of the funniest and most ridiculous things I've heard in a
>> long time, Bryan!  You rock!
>
> Funny and ridiculous?  More like sad.  Having the voter booth guy
> check your ID is a common sense idea, that would largely prevent
> non-citizens from voting.  No recording of your ID.  No "voter
> tracking".  Just a quick check to see if your name is actually on the
> books.  EFF arguments (co-chaired by the worst president we've ever
> had -- the great Jimmy Carter (D)) are weak.

It's not the voter ID thing itself that's problem here.  It's your weird
statement about the EFF.  What's actually sad is that so many people
such as yourself have this really weird (religious?) idea that
Republicans are somehow more righteous and less corrupt than the
Democrats.  It's a very indirect ad hominom attack.  Guilt by
association, as if "Democrat" somehow automatically implies bad.  Given
the last 8 years of Republican rule, I don't see how anyone can continue
to make these statements or associations with a straight face.

You could logically say--if you could support your arguments with
facts--that the values and politics of the EFF follow the values and
principles of the Democratic party in general.  But to add the part
about the EFF wanting to encourage voter fraud just makes you sound
silly.  It's a logically dissonant statement, unsupported by any
evidence on your part.